One Day Ahead of Time:
- In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, brown 1 cup Kerrygold Salted Butter (8 ounces / 227g) over low heat. Watch the Kerrygold Salted Butter closely and when it turns a light brown, take it off the heat so as not to burn.
- Pour browned butter into a heat-proof bowl and chill in the refrigerator overnight or until solid.
On the Day:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Slice Salted Kerrygold Butter and solidified browned Kerrygold Butter into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Cut using your hands, or a standing mixer, and mix the butter into the flour mixture until you get lumps of all different sizes – but no bigger than a dime. If using your hands just massage the butter into the flour mixture – working lightly to form lots of little clumps.
- When your flour and Kerrygold Salted Butter mixture is full of pea to dime sized butter lumps, add the sour cream.
- Using a light hand, mix the sour cream into the Kerrygold Salted Butter and flour mixture until a soft and slightly sticky dough forms. Keep in mind the dough will be soft, sticky, and not perfectly smooth.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the shortbread into a generous 2 inch disk.
- Using a 4” biscuit cutter, cut out 4-8 shortbread cakes. You will need to pat and fold the dough over and cut again to get all 6-8 shortbreads.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and the shortbread cakes. Brush each shortbread with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until golden brown. Keep in mind the baking time will differ depending oh how big you cut out your shortbreads.
- Serve shortcakes warm with vanilla whipped cream and strawberries.
For the Filling:
- While the shortcakes bake. Reserve a few whole strawberries for serving. Cut strawberries and place into a bowl with lemon juice and sugar (you may want to add the sugar slowly and taste as you go). Mash everything together until juicy and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the cream, sugar, vanilla until soft peaks form. Take care not to over mix.
- Fill opened warm, shortcake with cream and strawberries.
Recipe by Sweetish.Co