For the crust:
- Place flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter to the flour mixture and pulse until pea-sized chunks of butter are left. Do not over-process.
- Whisk together egg and cream in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture in the food processor and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Press dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour and up to 2 days.
For the galette:
- Remove dough from plastic wrap and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12” circle that is a ¼” thick. Place rolled dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Add strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice to a medium bowl. Toss to coat.
- Roll out almond paste into a 12” circle and place on top of the galette crust.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the strawberry filling on top of the crust leaving a 3” rim around the edge. Fold the 3” edge over the strawberries and crimp to secure.
- Whisk the egg and cream together in a small bowl. Brush the edge of the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Recipe by Garnish with Lemon.