- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut two heads of garlic in half. Place each head on a piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and cover with the rest of the foil.
- Toss cut onions with olive oil, lay evenly on parchment paper and sprinkle with kosher salt. Put foil-wrapped garlic on this sheet pan as well.
- Roast onions + garlic for 30-40 minutes or until golden and slightly charred (they should be crackling and sizzling). Garlic should be golden not burned. Set aside to cool.
- Roast tomatoes. Line 2 – 3 more baking sheets with parchment. Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil, lay tomatoes in an even layer on the parchment paper, sprinkle salt and roast for 20 minutes or until blistered and sizzling. Set aside.
- Peel the skin away from the roasted garlic and set garlic aside. You can pop out the cloves and mash them together, store in a tiny bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, add roasted garlic, onion, tomatoes, chicken stock, onion powder, garlic powder and liquid from the can of plum tomatoes (reserve the tomatoes). Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Crush the plum tomatoes slightly with your hand and add to the soup. Add Kerrygold Salted Butter. Salt to taste.
- In batches, pour the soup mixture into a high speed blender (or you can use an immersion blender for this) and blend all ingredients together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with thyme, cream and shredded Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese.
To Make Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss torn sourdough bread in olive oil. Then toss with shredded Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese and salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve on top of individual bowls of tomato soup.
Recipe by Sweetish Co.