- To a large mixing bowl, add the warm water, dry active yeast, and brown sugar, whisk to combine, and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, to allow the yeast to dissolve and activate.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the melted Kerrygold Garlic and Herb butter, kosher salt, and 4 cups of the flour to the bowl. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Add the remaining flour to the bowl, and use your hands to mix in. It helps to pinch the flour into the dough to incorporate it.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface, and pour the dough out onto it. Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes until it becomes smooth. If the dough is sticky, add an additional tablespoon of flour, and continue to knead.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large bowl, and work it up the sides of the bowl. Place the dough into the prepared bowl, and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently flatten the dough out into a rectangle about 1/2 -inch thick. Cut the dough into 24 rectangular pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough up into a log, and roll out to 8 inches long. Place each long piece of dough onto the parchment lined baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Let the pretzels rise for another 30-45 minutes until the dough is puffy.
- Meanwhile , bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water boils, add the baking soda and the honey to the pot.
- Place a rack on top of a baking sheet. Gently transfer about 6 pretzels to the pot of boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds, then carefully remove the pretzels from the water and place on the rack to drain. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Return the pretzels to the parchment lined baking sheets, and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle the tops of the pretzels with flaky salt. Use sharp kitchen scissors to cut 3 slits in the tops of the pretzels. Bake for 20-25 minutes until deeply golden brown.
- Remove the baked pretzels from the oven, and while they are still warm, brush the pretzels with the remaining 4 tablespoons of melted Kerrygold Garlic and Herb Butter. Serve with whole grain mustard.
Recipe by Lion’s Bread.