- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, small cubes of cold Kerrygold Unsalted Butter, and kosher salt. Use your fingertips to squeeze the cubes of butter into the flour, flattening them out into small sheets of flour-coated butter. Continue squeezing the flour into the Kerrygold Unsalted Butter for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the ice water and use a spatula or wooden spoon to combine. The dough will just start to come together but will still be very crumbly and shaggy. Line the work surface with a piece of plastic wrap, then pour the shaggy dough onto the plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to gather the dough together and press it into a disc shape. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, cut the disc in half and stack the two halves on top of each other. This will help create even more flakey layers. Flour your work surface generously, then sprinkle extra flour on top of the dough. Roll the dough out into a 12 to 14 inch circle.
- Spray a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the pie dough into the prepared pie dish. Trim the edges, and crimp if desired. Place the shaped pie dough back into the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the dough from the fridge, and place a piece of parchment paper in the center of the dough. Then pour pie weights or raw beans into the pie plate. This will keep the crust from sinking as it bakes, and it’s called “blind-baking.”
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the parchment paper and pie weights, lower the oven temperature to 350° and bake for another 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a small saucepan, combine the eggs and granulated sugar. Stir constantly while the mixture cooks over medium low heat. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the mixture thickens, and coats the back of a spoon, or reaches 160°F.
- Place the finely chopped chocolate, vanilla extract and kosher salt in the saucepan with the hot egg mixture. Let’s it stand for 1-2 minutes, then whisk until the chocolate is melted and thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the 8 tablespoons of Kerrygold Unsalted Butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and creamy. Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the bowl of the mixture, and beat for another 5 minutes until glossy and smooth. Pour the mixture into a separate medium size bowl.
- Place the 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream and the tablespoon of powdered sugar in the clean bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until the cream thickens and forms stiff peaks.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Fold in to lighten up the chocolate. Then, add in the remaining whipped cream and fold in until no white streaks remain. Pour the chocolate cream mixture into the cooled pie crust shell. Smooth out the top into an even layer. Chill for at least 1 and a half hours.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped cream topping. Beat the remaining 1 cup of whipped cream and 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and teaspoon of vanilla extract in the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat until medium peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream on top of the chilled chocolate layer and topped with chocolate shavings. Serve chilled.
Recipe by Lion’s Bread.