To prepare the dough:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut the Kerrygold butter into the dry ingredients until they are reduced to pea-sized clumps.
- The remainder of the mixture should look like a sandy consistency. Pour in the ice water and use the pastry cutter or a large fork to bring the dough together into a shaggy mixture.
- Then dump the contents of the bowl out onto a clean counter and work it into a ball of dough. Do not overwork the mixture.
- Flatten out the ball into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least two hours and up to a week.
To prepare the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan.
- Combine the almond meal, ¼ cup sugar, vanilla, and half of the beaten egg in a small bowl into a pasty consistency.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cherries, remaining ¼ cup sugar, cornstarch, booze, and zest. Set aside.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a 12” circle.
- Spread the almond mixture in the center of the circle, leaving a 2” border around the perimeter of the circle.
- Dump the cherry mixture on top of the almond filling. Fold the edges of the pie dough up and over the cherries, gently pressing the dough to seal on top of itself as you fold.
- Use a pastry brush to brush a thin layer of the remaining beaten egg on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with the turbinado sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- If you notice you crust is getting dark and the inside juices aren’t bubbling at all you can make a little aluminum foil shield to cover the dough around the perimeter of your galette.
- Allow to cool and set prior to slicing and serving with ice cream!