To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease and flour an 8”x4” loaf pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the Kerrygold unsalted butter and sugar together on medium speed until light a fluffy, about two minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on low to combine. Add the extract and zest. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add half of the flour, the baking powder, and the salt.
- Stir on low until almost combined and then add the buttermilk. Scrape the sides of the bowl and stir the remaining flour in on low speed. To not overmix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the filling by combining the brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the filling on top.
- Dollop the remaining batter on top of the brown sugar mixture and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cooled, whisk together the topping. Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest until you achieve your desired consistency. Add extra powdered sugar to thicken the glaze and extra lemon juice to thin it out. You can test the consistency on the side of a glass. Pour on top of the cake and garnish with fruit (I prefer figs or strawberries) and almonds. Serve immediately.