- To make the caponata, pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a large heavy based saucepan or casserole dish, place over a medium heat and add the eggplants. Cook for a 15 minutes until they are soft. Add in the remaining tablespoon of oil, followed by the shallots and cook for a further five minutes. Then stir in the tomatoes and cook slowly, so they break down and turn to a soft mush. Now stir in the capers, raisins, olives, celery, dried oregano, vinegar, tomato puree, season well and cover with a lid. Cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft. Stir gently so it doesn’t break up too much.
- While the caponta is cooking, in a bowl mix together the fennel seeds, melted butter, garlic and lemon juice, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then place the lamb chops in the bowl and rub the mixture into the meat. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Place a griddle or frying pan over a medium/high heat. Cook the lamb chops on each side for four minutes.
- Once the lamb chops and caponata are both cooked, serve on a warmed plate with torn fresh basil.
- Meal type: main
- Product: Kerrygold Salted Butter
- Serves: 4