1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients (flour through pepper) in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine eggs, buttermilk, butter and syrup in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Stir in sausage, green onions, spinach and cheese.
4. Fold in flour mixture until just combined (batter will be quite thick). Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 for 15-20 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and place on baking rack to cool completely.