- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans. Then line them with parchment paper and butter and flour the lined pans.
FOR THE CAKE BATTER:
- Cream the butter and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream, lemon zest, and vanilla, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix well. In a small bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine just until smooth. Cake batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter evenly in the 2 pans, smooth the tops, and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then remove to wire racks and let cool to room temperature.
- Hull and slice the strawberries in a medium bowl and set aside.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Place the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a mixer with the whisk attachment and mix until firm peaks form.
- Slice one of the cakes in half with a long, sharp knife.
- Place the bottom slice of the cake on a serving platter, spread with a thick layer of whipped cream and scatter with sliced strawberries.
- Cover with the top slice of the cake and spread with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Repeat with the process with the second cake.
- Decorate with strawberries.
- Chill until serving.