- Toast bread.
- Spread immediately with soft Kerrygold Unsalted Butter – there should be enough to leave a little butter pooled on the surface.
- Drizzle with maple syrup (the syrup is just one of the flavors; drizzle lightly and evenly over the whole surface of the bread, but do not drown the toast as you would pancakes).
- Sprinkle quickly with a good pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately on a warm plate, with knife, fork and a nice napkin.
- Mix orange blossom, acacia or any light flavored honey with a bit of grated orange zest and a tiny amount of grated ginger and spread it on the buttered bread. A pinch of salt is nice with this, too.
- Substitute a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon or a generous pinch of cardamom for the ginger in the above variation.
- Mix a tablespoon of dark brown sugar with a large pinch of ground coriander or cardamom (you can always opt for cinnamon, but the other spices are brighter and add more interesting flavor). Spread on heavily buttered toast and run it under the broiler (or place in toaster oven) until the butter/sugar bubbles slightly (2-3 minutes). Be careful not to burn the toast!
- For a savory version, top the buttered bread with a generous amount of grated Parmesan or Pecorino, a twist of black pepper and a little grated lemon zest. Run it under the broiler for about 45 seconds to slightly melt the cheese.