- Whisk together flour, soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar and butter for 2 minutes. Beat in egg, molasses and ginger until fully incorporated. Gently mix in flour mixture until just combined. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least four hours and up to one day.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator 20 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line sheet pans with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Roll heaping half tablespoons of dough into balls, rolls balls in sugar and place on prepared sheet pan. (I get about 20 cookies per sheet.) Bake for 7-8 minutes, remove from oven, top with chocolate kiss candies and return to oven. Bake for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Note: You can prepare the cookie dough in advance. Simply roll the dough into balls and freeze on a sheet pan. Take the frozen cookie dough balls and place in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. When ready to bake, place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and allow to come to room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling in sugar and baking. You might need to add a few minutes to the initial baking time.
- Meal type: desserts
- Serves: About 90 cookies