White Grape, Cucumber and Mint Gazpacho
1. Working in batches, blend the almonds, grapes, shallots, garlic, mint, stock, oil, vinegar and sherry in a blender until they are the consistency of light cream – adding more liquid if necessary. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed.
2. Combine the batches, salt to taste, and chill well (an hour or more) before serving.
3. To serve, place equal amounts of halved grapes and diced cucumbers into chilled bowls and pour soup over the garnishes. Scatter each bowl with the toasted almonds, a sprinkling of paprika and the just-shredded mint. Serve along with Aged Cheddar crisps.
Note: If mint is not a favorite flavor, this recipe works very nicely with fresh dill or tarragon (use less tarragon, as it can be strong).
Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Crisps
The trick to making these delicate, lacy, all-cheese crisps is to form a flat, even circle of a single layer of grated cheese, with a bit of space showing among the shreds. It’s also crucial to line the baking sheet with parchment so they will be easy to remove.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Sprinkle the cheese on the sheet in 2-inch rounds (as described above)
4. Bake for approximately 18 minutes, until they darken slightly, Remove from oven
5. Very gently blot the crisps with paper towels immediately after removing from oven
6. Let cool on baking sheet. Crisps will harden as they cool.
Variations: Make them with Kerrygold Dubliner® for a slightly sweeter, less tangy crisp.
Try an addition of a bit of freshly ground pepper or cayenne sprinkled over the cheese before baking.
The crisps are the perfect nibble with cocktails, bubbly or wine, and are a delicious accompaniment to a charcuterie platter or appetizers such as prosciutto with figs or melon. In fall, try them with apples or pears, or toasted walnuts and dried cranberries.
Crisps are best eaten the same day they’re baked, but they can be up to made several days ahead and kept in an airtight container in a cool place. Handle them gently and place container where it will not be jostled, as the crisps are very delicate.